Thursday, November 14, 2013

DIY Holiday Gift Card Holders


The Holiday season is creeping up on us!
I love making homemade gifts for Christmas. I also love recycling things to make new things. This project combines both, and it is something practical and decorative for gift giving. It is an easy and inexpensive project too, and the kids can help!

What you will need:
. Empty Altoids tins
. White spray paint
. Decorative tape ( I used "laser" tape, but you can also use Washi tape)
. Holiday stickers
. Scissors
. Mini stick on bows

Start by wiping out the Altoids tins real well. I chose to decorate 6 tins. 

Spray paint the tins with white spray paint. If you would like to paint the tins a different color, just make sure that you paint them white first. This way, the color will show up better. I kept things simple and just used white.
I sprayed the tins a let them dry for a couple hours in between coats, and then overnight on the last coat. I recommend spraying 3 to 4 coats.
I know that you can still see the Altoids logo through the paint, but we are going to be covering it up with tape and stickers. So don't worry! 

Now for the tape. I was originally going to use Washi tape, but I came across this at the dollar store. It's called "laser" tape. I thought it was more festive and sparkly, and it turned out to be easier to apply. The width of the tape was perfect to go around the tin!

I also found these Christmas stickers in my craft box. I thought the would be cute to decorate with. You could also use scrap booking embellishments and just glue them onto the tins. 

So first I Taped around the bottom edge of the box. No trimming necessary, it fit perfectly! Don't you just love when that happens? 

I then went around the top edge of the box and folded down the extra tape. You might have to do a little manipulating with the tape until you get it looking just right. I did a little snip at the corners so the tape wouldn't bunch up. 
Then I started taping across the tin to cover up the white, and cut it to fit. 
My middle son helped me decorate them with stickers!

I found some sparkly tissue paper and put it onto the tins.
Here are the finished tins:

Snowman 

Tree and Wreath 

Penguin 

Snowman & Snowflakes 

A Christmas present. For this one I just put tape around it to look like a present and then added a mini bow. 

Santa Claus! 

So there are my DIY Holiday gift card holders. Feel free to adapt this project with items that you have on hand. The possibilities are endless! 


No comments:

Post a Comment